Friday, February 27, 2015

Speedy

Speedy was a master teacher.  He was the first dog that I trained, and so he really gave me my foundation as a trainer.  He taught me countless life lessons, too.  I am the kind of trainer that I am, and in large part the person that I am, because of him.



The depth of his influence on me might be somewhat surprising.  Speedy was "not all there".  I know a lot of people say that about all Border Collies, but Speedy really had some significant mental limitations.

But where he lacked in some areas, he was extraordinary in others.  He taught me, patiently and skillfully, from the moment we brought him home to the last second when we had to let him go.

Some say that everyone "ruins" their first dog.  I made more than my fair share of mistakes with Speedy, but he was never "ruined".  He may have reached more of his performance potential had I started out with a better idea of what we were doing when we began together, but I honestly believe that his job in life was not to win high level titles, nor to achieve a certain performance standard.  Instead, he was meant to be my first - the dog who got me started, the dog who taught me who I need to be as a dog owner, trainer, and handler. 

Speedy taught me the meaning of patience.  He taught me how to accept what cannot be changed, while always expecting the unexpected.  He taught me that I must always put my dog's personal well being first.  He taught me that sometimes putting my efforts toward providing what my dog needs is more fruitful and satisfying than trying to reach my own personal goals.

Speedy taught me to dance with my dog for the sake of the dance, and to savor every moment moving in unison on the floor.  He taught me to listen to my dog and make the dance about both of us together, not one or the other alone.


Speedy taught me that putting my heart into everything that I do is far more important than success or failure.

And Speedy taught me to love a walk in the woods, and to appreciate the sights and sounds and scents as we travel along a new, or a well-known, path, taking time away from everyday life to appreciate something beautiful and peaceful.


And Speedy taught me that endings can be peaceful, and that a dog can leave as suddenly and quietly as unexpectedly as they arrive, and that life can go on and always be better for having that time together . . . even when it's over.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home